Skip to main content
#
Tyler County Historical Commission
our facebook page
Events
Courthouse Restoration
Donations
Contact
Submenu
Warren, Texas

Warren is located in south-central Tyler County, off U.S. Highway 69/287 and County Road 1550 about 13 miles south of Woodville. The town was born when Alexander Young of Warren, Pennsylvania, arrived in 1882 to establish a sawmill on the Texas & New Orleans' newly built railway that ran between Rockland on the northern edge of Tyler County southward to Beaumont. A post office was opened in 1883 with John C. Terrell as postmaster. The post office was located in a large store along with a telegraph office and railroad depot. In 1887 a second mill—called the B and K—was built by Brough and Krueger of Michigan, 400 yards from the first mill. Two years later the two mills were operating as Warren Lumber Company, with Young as the proprietor and Brough as superintendent. Warren's population was already about 1,000. In 1896, just a few months before a J. I Campbell acquired the mills, the B and K mill celebrated cutting 2,422,000 feet of lumber in 27 days on one circular saw. Although when in 1904 a fire destroyed at least one of the mills and it was quickly rebuilt, by that time the company was forced into receivership. This was the beginning of the end of the lumber industry in Warren. The people who stayed in Warren or came there after World War II were farmers, cattlemen, businessmen, and oil company workers. Concerning education, Warren had its own school district in 1917, one of 47 in Tyler County, and in 1955 it was one of seven.

References

Megan Biesele, "WARREN, TX (TYLER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw08), accessed November 07, 2012. W. T. Block, East Texas Mill Towns & Ghost Towns, Vol. 1 (Lufkin: Best of East Texas Publishers, 1994). Lou Ella Moseley, Pioneer Days of Tyler County (Fort Worth: Miran, 1975).

Tyler County Historical Commission
P.O. Box 777
Woodville, TX 75979

our facebook page


powered by:
   Company Studio