Historical Marker Application Process
The Historical Marker Application Process:
- Applicant researches the topic, writes the history, gathers photos and maps, and fills out the application form.
- Applicant submits application and documentation to county historical commission (CHC) for review and approval.
- CHC forwards application to Texas Historical Commission (THC).
- THC reviews application; additional information and/or clarification may be requested.
- THC requests application fee and property ownership approval.
- THC accepts public comment on applications received.
- THC approves application, if eligible, and requests payment.
- Applicant forwards payment to THC.
- THC prepares draft inscription and submits it to applicant and CHC for review.
- THC sends final approved inscription to foundry for casting.
- Foundry ships completed marker to designated addressee.
- Applicant and CHC plan marker dedication ceremony.
- THC staff enters marker into the Texas Historic Sites Atlas, an online inventory of marker information and inscriptions (http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us)