Fred is located in extreme southeast Tyler County on Farm to Market Road 92, about a 30-mile drive from Woodville. Details of Fred's earliest beginnings may be lost to time but we do know that a post office was established in 1881, and Wiley Cunningham was the postmaster. In 1883 the community was composed of a general store, a school, and two churches, and Fred's population was about 30 but by 1913 it had risen to 75. Cotton and hides were the principal commodities shipped from Fred back then. By the late 1960s Fred's population had grown to 349 residents, but had declined to about 240 in 2000.
References: Megan Biesele, "FRED, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlf28), accessed November 07, 2012. Google maps.