Doucette is located in central Tyler County, 3 miles north of Woodville on U.S. Highway 69. A community began to form there in about 1890 around a sawmill and was first known as Carrolls' Switch. After the first year of operation, Carrolls sold to William McCready and P. A. "Pete" Doucette, for whom the community was renamed. At other times Pete Doucette owned sawmills in Woodville and Sour Lake, and he was a contract logger along Village Creek as well as the Neches River. McCready established the first post office in 1893 and became the first postmaster. This was the beginning of a succession of owners of the sawmill, elevating Doucette to one of the leading towns in Southeast Texas between about 1900-1930. During the 1920s Doucette had its largest population—about 1,800—along with a drugstore, bank, railroad station, commissary, and post office. Active organizations included the Masons, Woodmen of the World, and the Boy Scouts. The last sawmill operation ceased in 1944. Following the sawmill days, Doucette's population in 2000 had dropped to about 130.
Lou Ella Moseley, Pioneer Days of Tyler County (Fort Worth: Miran, 1975). Handbook of Texas Online: Megan Biesele, "DOUCETTE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld33), accessed November 07, 2012. James & Josiah Wheat, Sketches of Tyler County History (Bevil Oaks: Whitmeyer, 1986). W. T. Block, East Texas Mill Towns & Ghost Towns, Vol. 1 (Lufkin: Best of East Texas Publishers, 1994). Bryan Shirley, "The Long Bell Lumber Company," unpublished report archived at the Whitmeyer Library, Woodville, TX.